Have Experience on Your Side
Families facing divorce must confront a host of very complicated issues. For most people, a divorce is one of the most emotionally challenging times of their lives. An experienced divorce lawyer will guide you through all the difficult decisions associated with a marital dissolution or separation.
At the Shimmell Law Offices in Grand Rapids, Michigan, we provide skilled legal representation for a wide range of legal concerns, with a focus on family law matters. Contact us today to learn more about your legal options.
Since 1993, our firm has guided people through the divorce process, addressing matters such as:
- Child Custody and Visitation: Child custody refers to both legal and physical custody. A non-custodial parent is generally granted visitation time with a child.
- Child Support: Michigan's child support guidelines help determine the award of child support. The court considers factors such as the income of each parent, the custody arrangement, and any special needs of the child, to set the amount of child support
- Alimony / Spousal Support: The court may award alimony temporary or permanent alimony, in the form of a monthly payment or a lump sum.
- Property Settlement: Spouses must equitably divide any marital property. Property obtained before the marriage is considered separate property, and not subject to property division. We can help you negotiate the asset and debt division from your marriage.
- Modification and Enforcement: Following a divorce, circumstances can change. Terms of agreements that once made sense, now need modification. Parties who were once responsible may fall behind in child support payments.
- Prenuptial and Marital Agreement: You and your spouse can agree upon a variety of things prior to or during a marriage that will help establish each other's rights.
- Paternity: Whether you are a father seeking to establish your parental rights, or a mother seeking a child support award, you need to establish paternity.
- Stepparent Adoption: To secure parental rights, stepparents must adopt their stepchildren. This process involves terminating the rights of the biological parent, either voluntarily or involuntarily.
In addition to representing clients with family law concerns, we provide a wide range of other legal services.
- Bankruptcy: Bankruptcy can provide a fresh start for people who are struggling to meet their financial obligations. We can help you understand the consequences of filing bankruptcy, and the ways in which filing bankruptcy can help you.
- Drunk Driving: Drunk driving is a serious crime with potentially serious consequences. If you have been charged with DWI/DUI, we can effectively represent you.
- Car Accidents: If you have been injured as the result of someone else's negligence, you should not have to face the consequences alone. We provide skilled representation for a wide range of personal injury claims.
- Civil Litigation: We have extensive experience resolving disputes inside and outside of the courtroom, including business disputes and real estate matters.
To speak to a lawyer about your divorce or other legal concerns, contact us for a confidential consultation. Our firm represents people throughout Michigan, including people living in Holland, Muskegon, and Grand Haven.